Thursday, December 8, 2016

Family and Help, Always Here

Again, I’m going to write on the note of having an amazing team to rely on.  Mom arrived one March, we picked her up from the airport, and we just bottled the Kupferschmid Red and were so eager to give Mom a bottle (since that is the wine we do for her).  Mom was staying at my house here on the property.  Well, she fell.  And it was a pretty nasty fall, with a rather big bruise on her head and knee.  I called Lorraine, our HR head, and said, “I broke my mom.” Nick and his wife Kelly, who was just finishing up nursing school at the time, came to the hospital for support.  Toward the end of Mom’s hospital visit, Kelly stayed behind while Nick and I got some food and prescriptions for Mom, while she waited to be discharged.  Another employee at the time watched over Duchess while all this was going down.  And to top it all off, it was raining cats and dogs.  Of course.
Nick reverses my car so close to the Emergency Room exit doors that they open.  See, they just left my mother in the room, just waiting there for us to get her out.  We got Mom home, had her all settled, only to find out the next day she had a broken kneecap.  I mean, it was just one thing after another.
Between all the guys here at the winery and Kelly, my mom had around-the-clock care.  Josh, our property operations and pretty much do-everything master, even built a ramp for Mom so she could get in and out of the house.  Mom was surround by people there for her, there to make her feel safe and comfortable, which made me feel safe and comfortable of course.  Mom was the priority.  Not just for me, but for Nick, Josh, Kelly, other employees at the time.  Everyone.  They all wanted her to recover from this horrible fall and be relaxed and in no pain just as much as I did.  My mom became their mom.  I couldn’t have felt more blessed.
Kelly insisted they clean her wounds at the hospital, I forgot to mention.  Kelly was intent on caring for Mom like she was on-duty, there at the hospital doing her job.  There is nothing like hearing your mother writhing in pain.  And I’ll tell you, I could not have done this on my own.  I mean, how lucky am I to have one of my winemaker’s wife just finishing up nursing school, there to help, and more than capable of helping.  It’s like Mom had her own private nurse.  Kept saying to myself, “Oh, thank goodness…  So lucky to have my team and others around me.”
        You’ll many times hear us at the winery joke around and say, “Oh that’s what happens when you’re family.” But it really is the case here.  I don’t know what I would have done with my mom so in pain if I didn’t have the people around me that I do.  I didn’t anticipate this coming out here and fulfilling my dream of owning a winery.  But here I am, and boy am I lucky.

No comments: