Thursday, August 11, 2016

How Dutchess Got to Dutcher

A lot of people think Dutchess is the one and only dog of Dutcher Crossing.  Well, she is the one and only, but not the first.  In March of ’07, I had all the moving taken care of, and now I have a job where I can have a dog.  So I was excited.  One Sunday night, I was online looking for a dog.  Found a golden retriever, an old girl.  She turned out to be very laid back.  A rescue dog named Gwen.  But, the poor pooch had trouble even walking from the winery office building, or “cottage”, to the tasting room.  The foster mom who brought me to the dog, took back the dog the weekend of an event after saying she would take her to the vet, leaving the check on the doorstep.   The foster mom claimed the dog would be happier with the her.  Didn’t expect this to happen, at all.  I mean, I told the adoption agency, “She stole my dog.” But, for the better, I found.

Then we had two Blue Heelers my friend Tina Maple turned me on to, but they wouldn’t stop marking their territory.  One time on Tina Maple herself.  Their owner was handicapped, and constantly needed attention.  That was going to be a problem here at the winery, as everyone here is always, always moving. They didn’t eat that well, but never really caused any trouble.  But, they always needed attention.  Being an owner or anyone working at a winery you can’t give a dog constant attention.  It just doesn’t work.  I even had to sleep with my legs hanging off the bed so they could touch me.  Needless to say, I wasn’t sleeping, and I knew it wasn’t working.  I told Tina about everything going on with the Heelers and she recommended a dog therapist.  I’m thinking, “Of course, only in California.” The sister dog took on the alpha role, and it was all a mess.  I mean, it was one thing after the other with these pups.  Still nice dogs, but not a good fit, so I gave them back to the owner.  I still occasionally see them when I visit Tina, and they’re very loving and excited to see me, which feels nice.

Then Dutchess.  The sweetest dog I ever could have hoped for.  Some wine club members knew of some businessmen over in Taiwan that had a dog shelter.  There was a litter of abandoned puppies on a roof.  I said, “I’ll take the chubby one.” The wine club members went to go get Dutch, flying her into L.A. then up to the Bay Area.  Met them in Napa, and we’ve been together ever since.  It was destiny, it really was.  Little Dutchess I knew would have a great life with me, in my new life here in the wine country.  The timing couldn’t have been better, just as my new life in the wine country was taking off and I was starting my new life in California, I have this loving, adorable, social lab.  I don’t know what life would be like without my Dutchie, and I don’t want to know.  I don’t have to know.  She’s here with me, with all of us at the winery, and we couldn’t be happier.  If you come by the winery and see her, walk up and say ‘hi’!  She’d love to make another friend.

No comments: